søndag 31. august 2014

Picture my surprise when I had tried to lean in for a kiss, and she just smiled and turned her head down. I asked her "why?" and she replied it was nothing I was doing wrong, it's just what it is. No, classy girls don't kiss in bars like this

“Blue eyes, dark hair, braces & Fionn” 08.08.14
This is the second instalment to my Dublin travels diary. I cannot believe I'm posting this, but ergh. I'm going to look back at this and laugh at myself. You might understand the title from the story, but you might not. It doesn't really matter, because this is for me. The names are all changed. Due to a late night and little sleep as a result of travelling, we slept in. Which means our breakfast at Costa Coffee (first picture) was quite late. I had a really nice ham and cheese Panini. The plan for that day was to get a tour at Trinity College (picture number two-four), which we did after our breakfast. We just missed a tour by a few minutes, so we had to wait for a bit. In that time, we went to explore a bit ourselves, which was a really good idea. I think it gave us a basis for the tour. As we walked around the campus by ourselves, I stopped at a building that I thought was stunning. And I was very intrigued by the decoration. I formed questions about it in my head, which I later got answers to during the tour. Once the tour did start, Ale and Marble were basically walking along with the guide, instead of behind the guide like everyone else. I thought that was quite funny, because when the guide was turning around, probably to tell all the people to hurry along, he saw Marble and Ale straight behind him. It was the first time we actually had the chance to listen to someone Irish. I felt like I spent all of Thursday trying to find anyone Irish, or to differentiate the people who were actually Irish from the tourists and foreigners. So it felt really nice to listen to our guide speak with an Irish accent. Naturally I asked him where he was from, and it turned out that he was from south of Dublin, not far from Wicklow. It was a funny coincidence, I thought. I spent almost the whole tour just staring at him, as I had already seen the buildings from our little wander about before the tour. Hey, it was allowed to look at him, because you know it’s rude not to look at the person speaking. Anyway, he was blonde and had blue eyes. He had a sarcastic humor and was self-deprecating. He was the epitome of an Irish person (stereotype). I thought to myself that I could probably fall in love with him, and marry him and carry his children and live on a farm with cows and horses and whatnot. “I’m especially proud, because I’m going to get married in the chapel on the College grounds,” he said, or something akin to that. My dreams of falling in love and marry an Irishman were shattered. After our informative tour, we went to see the Book of Kells and The Old Library. I think the latter was the most amazing part, and I didn’t leave the place without purchasing a little Trinity College tote bag. After going through the museum on campus, Ale split ways with us because she wasn’t feeling too well. She went back to the hotel whilst we went to Jervis Shopping Centre, which was amazing. I went home with one shopping bag, because the mall was closing at 7:00 pm. On the way home, we went over the Ha’Penny Bridge (picture number five), and we also heard a street singer play All I Want by Kodaline. We didn’t actually recognize the song until we had passed him, but we both squealed in excitement, because we’d finally heard Kodaline somewhere. When we got back to the hotel, we found Ale in bed, looking a bit worse for wear. But we managed to get her in the shower, and we all got ready for a nice meal and a night out on Dame Lane. We had dinner at the hotel restaurant, and it was an absolutely delicious lamb meal. It was exquisite, if I can say so, and I want to repeat that sensation of tasting the lamb multiple times. I had a bottle of Peroni, whilst Marble had a glass of wine. The girls opted for some dessert as well, but I was too full to try eating anything. After that, we went upstairs to our hotel room to do some pre-gaming once again—I mean, we are Norwegian students at heart. Marble was the bartender again, and we got some alcohol in our bodies. When we got to Dame Lane, we were a bit unsure where to go in: where the cool things would happen. In the end we went to this pub filled with people to the brim. I didn’t think the pub looked quite great itself, but there were loads of people, so something must have been pulling people towards the pub. The median age was probably around 28 or something. So the crowd was a lot older than us. However, the first thing we did when we got inside was to go to the toilets. It’s where we met two really nice Irish ladies. The toilets were out of paper, so they gave us some of their paper tissues from their hand bags. “So sorry, there’s not any toilet paper left,” they said, remorseful, like it was their fault. We were smitten by the politeness. Then one of them complimented Ale’s skirt. They were just so nice and it was just so unusual to us. After our visit to the toilets, I ordered two pints of Guinness and one pint of Heineken for us. They went down fairly quickly whilst we were listening to the live music. He was taking requests, and mostly playing songs unknown to us, until he started playing Hallelujah. We were all singing along by then. After we had finished our pints, we decided to move on. But at the door, Ale was stopped by a person who she high fived inside of the pub. His name was Aedan. He had long red hair and a matching beard to go along with it. Whilst Ale was caught up in a conversation with him, Marble and I greeted his pal. Deaglan was his name, and he was dark haired, wore a suit, and looked very Irish. Sounded it as well, might I add. Coincidentally, he was also from the Wicklow-area. He was older than us, probably somewhere around the median age of the crowd, if not older. But Ale was in a conversation and we didn’t want to make her leave the conversation. So we started talking with Deaglan; about Ireland’s history and Vikings because we’re Norwegian, accents, Wicklow, etcetera. I accidentally said “telly” when I was explaining my accent. He stopped me, and exclaimed “telly!” and then basically took the mick out of me for using that word. I’ll remember to not use that when I go back to Ireland. The dress I was wearing was one of those “off the shoulder” dresses, but it kept sliding up. So I kept trying to push it down, and Deaglan jokingly said: “wow, already undressing then?”. I explained the reason to him, because I am a proper lady. Two other men came by, and I think we shook hands with them. “See, we’ve already replaced you,” I said to Deaglan. I don’t actually remember a lot of our conversation, but I think we had great banter. I do also remember that I actually gave him my number. Initially I was a bit hesitant, and I did say: “I never do this”, as I was saying my number. When he dialed my number, it didn’t actually call. He said it went straight to voicemail. So he asked if I’d given him a fake number. Please, as if I could lie about my number with how flabbergasted I was. But I showed him that it was in fact correct number. I just didn’t have any service at the moment. Admittedly we were a bit flirty towards each other, and Marble did say she felt a bit like the fifth wheel. When we were about to leave, Deaglan was suddenly very close to my face. Or maybe it just felt like it. No, yeah, he was really close to my face, because he could almost nudge me with his nose. He said: “I really want to kiss you”. And I said: “oh but I never let strangers kiss me. Maybe on the cheek”. He said alright, didn’t kiss my cheek because he said he didn’t want to do something I didn’t want. I thought that was very nice and respectful of him. Believe it or not, I have had people try to kiss me, and I've turned my head. But whereas those people would usually be offended, Deaglan was still all smiles. He still kept very close, and he had his arm around me. We were about to leave, and so I was going to say my goodbyes. I think we might have shook hands, before I decided to give him a hug. Or at least I’m pretty sure I was the one to initiate a hug. Mid-hug, he lifted me up, then let me down, and then lifted me up again. So we were in an embrace for a bit. After saying goodbye to Aedan, whose hair I touched and admitted to wanting to braid—we went back to Temple Bar to check out the atmosphere. Once again we went to listen to the live music, and though it wasn’t as good as the day before, we sat down to listen. There was a hen party, and Marble was just saying how it would be fun to go congratulate the girl. So I said “yeah, why not?”. A few seconds after, I went to congratulate the bride-to-be, and I told her that she looked very nice. The hen-party requested What’s Up by 4 Non Blondes and it was so good, because finally there was a song we could sing along with. After that we ended up at The Globe, where we danced to a lot of good old ones. Then we went downstairs to Ri Ra, where we raved a bit. I Wanna Dance With Somebody by Whitney Houston was playing, and all the gals were strutting around, singing along. I found a dancing companion, who for some reason reminded me of a backpacker. Maybe it was the vibe. Anyway, we danced for a bit, before we decided to go home. On the way back to the hotel we stopped to buy some chips, and then the girls wandered across the road to check out this club they had been eyeing. There we met the guy with braces and J.P. Fionn. It was really nice listening to them chat, because I am a sucker for an Irish accent. Braces’ accent reminded me of Niall Horan, so naturally I had to ask him where he was from. A bit outside Dublin, he said. North, I think. He invited us to come spend the night at theirs. Said he had two couches, which Ale misunderstood for “cages”. We all had the lols at that. I said my goodbyes to them and left, because I was cold and tired. Figured Ale and Marble could do whatever they wanted. I must admit that I was a bit surprised to see them coming up behind me shortly after. I think we ended up in bed at 3:30 am or something, after we had chugged down a few bottles of water in hope that we wouldn't feel any effects of the alcohol the day after.  

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar